Thursday, November 18, 2010

Diving in Deep

Ties Ten Bosch writes about his project Diving in Deep for SUD 2010 and Doual'art. He is invited to the SUD through a residency from the Dutch Fonds BKVB, hosted by Doual'art and ICU art projects.
 
Ties Ten Bosch:
"Since two weeks now I'm living in the Bloc du Source in Ndogpassi III. A more deprived area of Douala, but life is good here. The people are very hospitable and we feel very welcome here. I have to say we, because I'm living here with my assistant Lucie Grisey, a student from the School of Arts in Rennes, who will take care of documenting my work. Next to that she is also a great help in teaching me french, which after two weeks I must say, goes pretty well.
Last week, after a few days of mainly observing and getting to know the bloc, I started to work. My first little intervention was to name the house we are living in. Since it looks a bit like a swimming pool on the outside, I've decided to call it 'La Piscine', which I wrote on the facade of the house, using sand and water. A short performance which was witnessed by mostly kids.
Second thing to do was to create my working spot, my so called laboratory, which I named 'Le Plongeoir'. This means diving board, since it will be the place that I use to dive deep in to the life of the bloc.
The coming weeks I will do a lot of small interventions and performances, but the biggest project is constructing a new bridge. Together with the chief, some of his assistants and other people from the bloc, we will make a bridge big enough for cars. This is very important for the life in the bloc and people are therefor very enthusiastic. The first two weeks passed very quickly and a lot of work still needs to be done, but I think it's possible to create something good."
More about Ties' works and adventures, on his personal blog at www.tiestenbosch.com

No comments:

Post a Comment